Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Happy Canada Day

Today Canadians and friends of Canada are celebrating Canada Day. What is Canada Day, you may ask? Why, it is the nation's birthday! The Great White North turns 143 years old! Unfortunately, I'm not in my native land to help celebrate, so Tyler and I had to create our own festivities today. We started off by putting on our Canada t-shirts. Tyler's was presented to him by his Canadian friends back home last year. They custom made it just for him to remember them while we are here in the United States. So what next? Where should a Canadian go on Canada Day while they are in the U.S.? Why not find the nearest Canadian donut shop that is not only just a donut shop to us Canadians, but it is much a part of our culture. Most Canadians make Tim Horton's a part of their daily lives. Not too many days go by without a trip to the nearest store, which happens to be on just about every corner. Bizarrely, a Tim Horton's, which is quietly making it's expansion across the border, just opened up right here on Steve's base in January right after we moved here. Crazy, eh? To continue on with our Canada Day celebrations, we ventured out to "Timmies" where after we placed our order and I was waiting for my cafe mocha and Tyler's hot chocolate, the sandwich guy comes from behind the counter and wished us a Happy Canada Day and shows us his Canada pin. Then after we sat down and were enjoying our drinks and maple cream donuts, I noticed a family walk in all wearing red and one girl wearing a Canada t-shirt. So I walk up to them and ask if they are Canadians and low and behold they are! In fact, they are not just Canadians, but fellow Maritimers from P.E.I. And the woman's mother is from River Bourgeois, which is located on Cape Breton! What a small world! It was so nice meeting some fellow Canadians. It just made my Canada Day even more special. Tonight, we wrapped up our celebrations by having Kraft Dinner for supper. In conclusion, it was a pretty good Canada Day even though I couldn't be home to enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home