Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Part 2: Last Beach Get Together

We hurried back to the apartment to get ready for our last get together with our friends we made while stationed in Virginia. Whenever we get stationed in a place, we arrive knowing very few people, if any, and then before we know it it is time to move and we have to say goodbye to our wonderful friends we've made. This time though it was a little tougher than usual. This was the longest tour we've ever been stationed. We lived here for almost 4 years as compared to 3 years for a regular tour. During our time here, these friends we've made became actually more than just friends, they became my family, especially for Tyler and I since Steve was gone away most of the time on deployment. Tyler and I met Yasuko and Yuki at a mutual friend's son's birthday party. She was one of my first friends I met while stationed in Virginia. We would a lot of holidays together like Easter and Mother's Day because her husband was also gone away a lot. Tyler and Yuki became great friends. We used to meet at the playground all the time, have dinners together, and go to different events around the area.
I met Heather, Dawn, and Tina through Tyler's preschool. They had their kids attend. Rachael, Casey and Tyler were like three peas in a pod. Rachael and Tyler are a lot alike. They like the same things, act the same silly way and think the same way. We used to get together a lot with Heather, Dawn and Rachael going to the zoo, the movies, out for Friday night pizzas at Chesapeake Pizza, they had gymnastics class together at the Little Gym, trips to the beach, and swim class together. Dawn is always so caring and became like a mom to me. I would call her my Virginia Mom.
So, we had to have one last beach get together to say goodbye...though they wouldn't let me say "goodbye", but rather "see you later". We promised to always keep in touch and will see each other soon. Actually once they found out that we were coming back to Virginia to catch our flight to Bahrain, they said they wanted to see us off. We still hugged each other tight and it was difficult to say "see you later" with the wonderful memories of their friendship so fresh in my mind. Dawn presented us with two beautiful drawings that she had her niece draw from a picture that we took of Rachael and Tyler. I can't wait to hang them up when we get to our new home. I miss my Virginia family very much, but I know I will "see them soon".




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home