Twice As Hard
This was the day that we had been dreading for some time now. Steve left today to drive back to our home in Maryland and start his journey to his deployment to Iraq. It will be at least 6 months, and it could be more, before we see him again. Saying goodbye was not easy.Steve set the alarm for 5 a.m. this morning. We let Tyler continue to sleep as Steve said his goodbyes to him last night. After a half hour of saying goodbye, Steve made his way on the road. Heartbroken and crying, I went back to bed. When I got up again I immediately realized that I had Steve's passports in my purse still. Oh no! When I phoned him, he was just approaching Antigonish, which is about 3 hours away. Steve turned around and we agreed to meet up with him. He not only forgot his passports, but also his travel bag and leave papers. We've had so much on our mind the past few months that it was no surprise that we forgot.
Finally we met up with each other in Whycocomagh. They say that some things happen for a reason and today was no exception. We were so happy to be able to see Steve again and now Tyler could see Daddy again too. Steve mentioned that we were really close to a cool cache and so we decided to go find it together while Nanny waited in the car with Tyler. It was so wonderful to spent a little more time with my husband. Before long, we had to say our goodbyes again. It wasn't any easier the second time. I just pray that he stays safe and the time somehow passes quickly so that we can be together again. Steve, I love you so much and I miss you!!!The first photo was taken yesterday was meant to be our last family photo before seeing each other again, but then this morning we got the opportunity to take another one.
Steve and I were just talking on the phone and he should arrive at his dad's house in Rhode Island tonight at 10 p.m.

2 Comments:
At 9:40 p.m., June 22, 2008 ,
Rayna Nielsen said...
6 months is a long time. Though you have your fellow bloggers to keep you company. We wish Steve well on his deployment.
At 6:55 a.m., June 24, 2008 ,
Anonymous said...
Good luck Steve - I'm praying for a quick and safe return. Hopefully the time just flies by for you both!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home