Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Famous Ferry

The other night I was reading Tyler his library books as I always do before bed and I got a little unexpected surprise in one of them. The book to which I'm referring to is titled 'Ferries' written by Lola M. Schaefer which is a basically a book about different kinds of ferries and how they operate. It is printed and written in the U.S. As I was reading it, one of the photos happened to catch my eye. It sort of looked familiar, and as I looked closer I was shocked to see it was indeed the little ferry that we have here operating in Englishtown! In fact, the ferry has been shown on this blog several times in the past. This is a photo Steve took last year on our trip to the Sea Parrot, the place Steve and I like to escape while visiting. The ferry is called the Angus MacAskill named after the giant who lived in the community in the 18oo's. You can visit his grave nearby. The ferry just retired last spring and was replaced by a new ferry named after Torquil MacLean, who operated the old ferry for over 50 years. It can hold 15 cars which is 2 more than the previous ferry. The ferry is the busiest of seven small ferries in Nova Scotia. Anyway, I just thought it was really neat that among the other ferries they had photos of from around the world, our little ferry would be included too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home