Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Monday, May 02, 2011

Strawberry Sunday

Yesterday morning I received a call from Yasuko asking if we would like to join her and Yuki  on a strawberry picking adventure. Larissa stayed over night and we were looking for something to fill the day anyway, so we agreed to join her. It was both mine and Tyler's very first berry picking experience. I wanted to go the year before, but missed out on it because we were in Canada during the strawberry season here. It was important to me that we went to an organic farm if Tyler was with me because I didn't want him in a field that had been sprayed by harmful pesticides and taste testing some without having them washed first.
The farm we went to just got their strawberries certified organic this year for the first time. It was perfect! Initially, I thought we would be all afternoon at the patch, but with team work (Larissa and Tyler helping to fill my basket) it took no time at all. There were plenty of ripe, giant, juicy strawberries to pick. We just took our time, tasting along the way. It was so much fun that I'm already super excited about returning next year. What did  I do with all the strawberries we picked you may wonder? We ate some, I gave Larissa some to take back on her ship to enjoy, and I put most of the remainder in the freezer to make smoothies and yummy desserts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home