Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Making Soldiers out of Sailors

I'm now on day four of my pre-deployment training at Fort Jackson in South Carolina. So far I have been issued uniforms for the desert and a pile of other gear. I have been medically screened to include more shots and new glasses. I was also issued the M9 pistol and M16 assault rifle. Everyone gets them, but only a few must qualify on both and take them into theater. I am one of those people. I have already trained and qualified on both. The days are long and tiring. The sun takes a lot out of me. Tomorrow we have to run the confidence course in full body armor and then we have to go back to the range. This next range will have us firing on targets in various locations while walking. It should be fun!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:56 p.m., August 30, 2007 , Blogger Smith Family said...

    It scares me to see you using those guns, though I know you have to use them for your own safety when you get deployed. I pray each night for God to watch over you and see that you make it home to us safe and sound. Tyler and I miss you so much and we are very proud of you!
    I love you with all my heart!
    Heather XOXOXOXOXO

     
  • At 10:11 a.m., August 31, 2007 , Blogger erika said...

    it sounds like you're doing a great job - hang in there! We're all praying for you to get through this

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home