Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Opa!!!

This weekend Norfolk hosted the annual Greek Festival. It is the largest and oldest ethnic festival in the area. One visit and you will understand why. It is an awesome event filled with excellent entertainment that included dancing and authentic Greek music and singers, delicious Greek food, arts and crafts, and other authentic merchandise from Greece and even other countries.

What can I say? The food was the reason why my friend, Yasuko, and I decided to go. We weren't disappointed to say the least. Everything was prepared right on site. There were tons of Greek foods to select from that included moussaka, pastitsio, lamb, and souvlaki. Tyler and I decided on Greek salad, calamari, gyro, spanakopita, and baklava. We've been to some Greek restaurants and of course experienced real Greek food in Crete, but the food here was excellent. While we were enjoying our food, we listened and watched some fantastic Greek singing and dancing.
We could have just stayed there the rest of the afternoon listening to the great music, but we decided to do a little exploring and found they were also selling some amazing merchandise that included Greek clothing, jewelery, paintings, and authentic Greek toys for kids.Living in Europe for several years, I even recognized some of the products; one of which was Capodimonte from Naples which I absolutely love. They also had Greek olives, chocolate, olive oil, drinks, and ceramics. It was a great cultural experience for Tyler to learn about. Both Steve and I feel it's very important for Tyler to learn about other countries as it helps us to be more open minded about the world. Speaking of Steve, he was the only thing that was really missing at the festival. All throughout our time there, I kept thinking about how much he would have loved it there. It made me miss him so much more. There is always next year though, and we're definitely going back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home