Smith Family News

The latest updates about Steve, Heather and Tyler.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Poor Luigi!

A few weeks ago, Ute phoned and she sounded quite upset. She was very concerned over the condition of our oldest cat, Luigi. Ute had been looking after our two cats, Luigi and Sophia, while we were away.


Luigi appeared to have two bald patches near the back of his neck and where the skin was exposed, it looked really red and scaley. I asked Ute to e-mail me photos so I could show my neighbour across the street, who just happens to be a vet. I phoned him and he asked me to forward the e-mails to him.


Eventhough he couldn't properly make a diagnosis without a proper exam, he said that it looked like Weeg might have fleas. Steve and I were quite surprised because both Luigi and Sophia are mainly indoor cats. We do let them out once in awhile, but it is only for a very short time. Another week passed, and Ute called again saying that there was another bald spot on him.


When Steve came home, he noticed a lot of black grainy looking specs everywhere. He really didn't know what it was. He also noticed that Sophia refused to step on the floor. She would go from one piece of furniture to another. Well, this morning he finally discovered what the specs were. They were fleas and they were everywhere!!!! He said they were really bad in the livingroom and he had bites all over his legs and feet from where he was sitting in the livingroom.


This morning, he sprayed down the areas of the house that were really bad. Coincidently, his mom gave him some flea stuff when he was home last to kill them. What a blessing that was! After he sprayed the house, he took Weeg to the vet and it turns out that it is fleas and that it looks like Luigi is allergic to them, so they gave him an antibiotic and some other shots that kill the fleas within 15 mins. They gave Steve the same medicine to give to Sophia.


I feel so sad for my cats that they have to go through all this. I hope my Weeg gets better soon. I also feel sorry that Steve has to do all this stuff himself and I'm not there to help him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home